Tuesday, May 5, 2009

ME - a Writer??

I figured it would be a routine trip to the library. I go there often, and this time I stopped to chat with Diana (the head librarian). As I exited the library, a teenage girl stopped me to ask about Last Chance Rescue. Her questions boiled down to essentially this: how did I become a writer?

My attempt at answers felt entirely inadequate!

Fifteen minutes later, back in my car after picking up my daughter at daycare, I reflected on this question. The truth is, I've written all my life. But I have never thought of myself as a "writer"! Why, I wonder? Because I have so many other identifications (mom, wife, daughter, sister ... business owner ... motorcyclist ... you get the idea) that it had not occurred to me to add "writer" to that list?

Or is it because I don't "write" as a job? Honestly, I couldn't do it - it is HARD WORK! (And, I might add, not exactly a highly-paid occupation.) In fact, I wonder sometimes WHY I have undertaken a second one!

But the answer is "Yes" - I am a writer. I'm still getting used to that idea. The day I held my first copy of Last Chance Rescue was the first time I thought: oh my gosh, I'm an AUTHOR! Was it easy? NO WAY!! But do I like the feeling? YOU BET!

No comments:

Post a Comment